As a growing business, it is important that you hire the right materials handling company. This is a company that will help streamline activities on your factory floor and warehouse so that production can roll along faster and more efficiently. The company will help you source the necessary materials handling equipment as well as streamline processes for you. This is a big responsibility and you cannot hire the first material handling company that you come across. You have to carefully look through your options and choose a company that has your best interests at heart. So how do you know that you are talking to the right material handling company?
• Your first clue will be what they know about material handling. There are many companies out there masquerading as materials handling companies when in effect all they do is provide equipment. In your interview ask the exactly what they will be bringing to the table and if they don’t talk strategy they are the wrong company. A good material handling company will come to you with a strategy on how they will handle the factory and warehouse on an on-going basis. They will come to you as a strategic partner who will be with you in the long run.
• Have they worked with a business that is similar to yours in the past? This is very important; just because a material handling company has been in business does not mean that they are good for you. The needs of your company are very specific so it is important that they come to the table with experience in a business similar to yours. Ask them to give you 2 or 3 names of businesses similar to yours that they have worked with before.
• What kind of a solution do they have for you? You are looking for a company that is willing to take the time to understand your business so that they can tailor a strategy for it going forward. Your business is unique and needs bespoke solutions, not blanket ones. A strategy that works in another company could end up losing money if applied to your business so it is important that you get a tailored solution.
• What kind of reports will you betting from them and when? In order for you to know whether the strategy that a material handling company is succeeding or failing you have to set benchmarks. Before they start work they need to tell you how to measure success and how often you will get reports. Discuss what you want included in the reports and whether they can include them.
• Automation has become an important part of business and it can be a game changer if applied to yours. Find out if the company you are interviewing has any experience with automation and if they do, what it is and how much it will cost.
If you use these tips you should be able to hire a materials handling company that will improve your business.